Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Thing #4 - Blogging Begins with Reading

I read several of the blogs that I thought interested me and might be useful or apply to my teaching style. I don't need homework so the first post I read was "Why I Don't Assign Homework." It's an old post that must have hit a nerve because it generated a lot of comments. The blogger, Dan Meyer, is a math teacher and bases his opinions on surveys with his students. He writes in a "formal" conversational style and is easy to read. The comments are very casual and his responses are in his own style, "formal" conversation. If you struggle with the question of assigning homework, read his blog. He makes some valid points.

I found most of the blogs to be easy to read and dedicated to one subject or objective. If you are looking for specific information or opinions, its easy to locate them fast. The research and additional information is linked and you have the choice of checking out the links. Be aware...you can spend hours reading blogs. There is an advantage to the addictiveness of reading blogs, use it in your classroom, introduce your students to blogs. Maybe it is the new sustained silent reading.

3 comments:

  1. I read the same article and it was amazing. It truly made me think of homework in a new light and of course my management style as well. The points he gave were valid and well put. His article as well as the comments were easy to follow and understand. This type of blogging made me truly see what blogging can be like and how informational it can be!
    http://khemmiwilkinson.blogspot.com/2010/09/edublogosphere.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read the same 2 articles. Loved them both! I think the author of the homework blog is spot on! ONe of the biggest complaints from parents is often about homework. Either the lack of or the fact that there is often too much. Of course, most often, I don't have parents complain about lack of homework - but it has come up before. My personal philosophy regarding homework is that while it may be useful, I don't believe it is always necessary...especially every night! And, if it is assigned, it MUST be relevant!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Forgot to include this information:
    http://patioperspective.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete